What is the Open Data Pilot in Horizon2020?
Starting from 2017 participating in the pilot will be the default option, although the call’s opening date is leading in determining if your project falls under the pilot.
Requirements are to:
- develop and keep up-to-date a Data Management Plan (DMP).
- deposit data in a research data repository, along with descriptive metadata (such as the title of the data set, the data authors or creators, and keywords), and the documentation and tools that is needed to understand, validate and reuse the data. Rich discipline-specific metadata and documentation is very valuable, and this can be deposited along with the data (see an example here: https://zenodo.org/record/50409#.WS6YnmiGPIU)
- make sure third parties can freely access, mine, exploit, reproduce and disseminate it.
- make clear what tools will be needed to use the raw data to validate research results or provide the tools themselves - (N.B. Tools cover software code, protocols, and anything else that makes the data reusable, or the research findings reproducible).
The pilot applies to
- the data (and metadata) needed to validate results in scientific publications.
- other curated and/or raw data (and metadata) that you specify in the DMP.
Please note that costs related to open access to research data in Horizon 2020 are eligible for reimbursement during the duration of the project under the conditions defined in the H2020 Grant Agreement: they must already be budgeted and accepted in the grant proposal, and note the “during the duration of the project”. For budgeting the costs of data management, you can use https://www.uu.nl/en/files/datamanagementcostguidejune2017pdf for inspiration.
our FAQs on DMP and data
- What is a Data Management Plan?
- How do I create a Data Management Plan?
- When do I need to submit a Data Management Plan?
- Where can I deposit my data?
- Should research data be open?
You may also want to take a look at our webinars
- Open Research Data in H2020
- Open Research Data in H2020 and Zenodo
- Open Research Data and data management for Horizon2020 project
- FAIR data in Trustworthy data repositories