We are currently seeking a passionate and skilled Mid-Level Developer with a focus on Data Engineering to join our dynamic team. In this role, you will have the opportunity to work on cutting-edge projects, utilizing your expertise to transform data into actionable insights.
About the job
OpenAIRE AMKE is a non-profit company operating as a service provider for the European research setting for at least 13 years. OpenAIRE is seeking a Developer with experience in building high-performing, scalable, enterprise-grade applications.
The OpenAIRE service infrastructure sits on a big data cluster where more than 500Mi records and close to 25Mi full-texts are collected, processed, and made accessible relying on cutting-edge data wrangling technologies and methods to build a knowledge graph known as the OpenAIRE Research Graph. Data engineering challenges are to be tackled at all levels of the Graph data flow:
- Collecting, validating, and storing metadata records and related files of different formats from thousands data sources;
- Deduplicating and interlinking metadata records;
- Enabling platforms to support full-text mining and deep learning techniques;
- Building enabling technologies to support the analysis of big data graphs;
- Scalable subscription and notification platforms to distribute Graph content to interested sources;
- Supporting efficient and user targeted search and discovery technologies.
- You will become a member of the OpenAIRE technical team and will be involved in activities which will
- Analyze and organize raw data
- Build data systems and pipelines
- Evaluate business needs and objectives
- Prepare data for prescriptive and predictive modeling
- Combine raw information from different sources
- Explore ways to enhance data quality and reliability
- Identify opportunities for data acquisition
- Develop analytical tools and programs
- Work closely with the CTO and other team members on several projects
- Potentially represent OpenAIRE in European project technical meetings.
- Design and implement scalable and reliable data processing pipelines.
- Develop and optimize data processing algorithms using Java, Spark, Hive, and Impala.
- Manage and maintain our SQL databases and workflows using Oozie.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to define and achieve data-related objectives.
- Ensure data integrity and optimize system performance.
Qualifications, Skills and experience
- Proven experience as a Data Engineer or in a similar role.
- Good knowledge of Java, Spark, Hive, and Impala.
- Medium knowledge of SQL and Oozie.
- Strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- Fluent written and spoken English language
- Excellent communication and teamwork abilities.
What we offer
- Competitive salary.
- Opportunities for professional growth and development.
- A collaborative and innovative work environment.
Terms of employment
- The position is offered for a period of two-years as an associate (in consultancy terms). It is renewable upon satisfactory performance.
- This will be a full-time or part-time position.
- We only accept candidates who already have an EU work permit.
- Selected candidates will join forces with the OpenAIRE team located in Athens, at Athena Research Center, but we apply a hybrid mode of work environment, with physical presence on premises for at 2-3 times a week.
- Candidates should be available for travelling to meet with the technical team in Europe, up to 4 times per year, on request of the technical coordination (paid travel).
- Depending on skills and experience, gross salary for a full-time position will be in the range of 34.000 EUR to 40.000 EUR per year. The salary is intended to be gross, i.e. taxes, insurance, etc. are included.
Dates and deadlines
- Job submission deadline: Feb 5, 2024.
- Expected starting date: March 2024
How to apply
OpenAIRE is a non-profit organisation (working from 2008, but establlished as a legal entity in 2018 with 47 members from 34 countries) operating an open scholalry communication infrastructure in Europe. Our services are used by resarchers and actors in the R&I ecosystem around the world.
OpenAIRE headquarter is based in Athens, Greece, but operates a virtual office of 18 staff members, a technical team of 30+ developers and engineers in Pisa (Italy), Athens (Greece), Warsaw (Poland), Geneva (Switzerland), Minho (Portugal), and a network of 34 Open Science experts placed in every European country,