OpenAIRE Interoperability Workshop
120 delegates gathered in University of Minho (Braga, Portugal) last week (February 7/8) to attend a workshop on Interoperability. The purpose of the workshop was to showcase the new set of OpenAIRE guidelines and to discuss and get input onto OpenAIRE’s approach to harvesting metadata. This was in addition to the wider aim of discussion the challenging issue of interoperability within the open access world and repositories. We invited therefore representatives of a range of communities to present on how they see themselves fitting into the knowledge landscape: CRIS, DataCite, publishers, data repositories, EUDAT, research infrastructures, and ultimately, from an OpenAIRE point of view, how we can potentially work together with them.
The breakout groups were a chance to see how the guidelines reflected on other initiatives, and get input into issues such as grant ID encoding, licensing considerations, and some decisions were made such as who and how to harvest in terms of data.
The 2-day event also started off with an open science session, including delegates from the Open Knowledge Foundation and Geoffrey Boulton, who widened the perspective beyond the research institution on this challenging debate.
UMinho Open Access Seminar & OpenAIRE Interoperability Workshop (7th Feb.)
Open Science, Open Data and Repositories
- Open Science: challenges and opportunities for open access repositories – Alicia Lopes Medina, COAR [Presentation] [Video]
OpenAIREplus – Linking, integrating and enriching research outcomes
- The Services of the OpenAIREplus Infrastructure for Scholarly Communication: data management and end-user functionality – Paolo Manghi, ISTI-CNR and Natalia Manola, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens [Presentation] [Video]
- OpenAIRE Guidelines for Data Archive Managers – Mikael Elbæk, Technical University of Denmark [Presentation] [Video]
- Linking data to publications: lessons learned from a pilot implementation – Donatella Castelli, ISTI-CNR [Presentation] [Video]
OpenAIRE Interoperability Workshop (8th Feb.)
1st session: Interoperability Workshop
- The CRIS-Repository connection: possibilities and values – Ed Simons and Danica Zendulková, euroCRIS [Presentation 1] [Presentation 2] [Video]
- ENGAGE: An Infrastructure for Open, Linked Governmental Data Provision towards Research Communities and Citizens – Nikos Houssos, National Documentation Centre (EKT)/euroCRIS [Presentation] [Video]
- Introducing PRIME: Publisher, Repository and Institutional Metadata Exchange – Brian Hole, Ubiquity Press [Presentation] [Video]
2nd session: Interoperability Workshop
- DataCite – Bridging the gap and helping to find, access and reuse data – Herbert Gruttemeier, INIST-CNRS [Presentation] [Video]
- Connecting data repositories and publishers for data publication – Sarah Callaghan, BADC: PREPARDE project [Presentation] [Video]
- Connecting GESIS research data and publication information systems – Katarina Boland, GESIS [Presentation]
- Technical breakout session – OpenAIRE Guidelines Task Group [Video]
Summaries and Next steps
- Report from Breakout sessions [Video]