New improvements in the UsageCounts service, the analytics service of OpenAIRE
The OpenAIRE UsageCounts service (https://usagecounts.openaire.eu/) is the usage analytics service of the OpenAIRE Research Graph. It collects usage data or usage statistics reports or OpenAIRE Research Graph products, like publications, datasets, software, books, etc., from the distributed network of OpenAIRE Content Providers, like Insitutitonalepositories, journals and other scientific data sources. The service aggregates this usage information and delivers standardized activity reports about research usage and uptake. It complements existing citation mechanisms and assists institutional repository managers, research communities, research organizations, funders and policy makers to track and evaluate research outputs from an early stage.
This service has been available through the OpenAIRE Provide - Dashboard for Content Providers -, from which content providers managers can enable the service and get usage statistics reports of their data sources.
Since October 2020, the UsageCounts Service has its own website - https://usagecounts.openaire.eu/ - where which users can find all the useful information about the service and also get statistics by country, as well as reports on the usage activity of selected Articles, Items (conference object, dataset, image, etc.), Journals, Repositories, Books and Book sections.
The service has been subject to major improvements over the last few months, focused on their infrastructure and workflows, resulting in significant enhancements for the end users.
- Up to February 2021
- ~3,5M Research Products
- ~200 Content Providers
- ~100M Views
- ~380M Downloads
- B2SHARE EUDAT service joined UsageCounts
- Ongoing updates which is expected to be deployed in production very soon:
- Episciences.org journal platform aggregation
- Release 5 of COUNTER CoP Reports
- Release of COUNTER CoP Report for Research Data
Know how to participate in the OpenAIRE Usage Counts Service
If you want your repository to be part of the OpenAIRE UsageCounts Service, you need to follow these steps:
- Ensure that your repository is registered in OpenAIRE. If not, register it via the OpenAIRE PROVIDE.
- Access your repository dashboard in PROVIDE and select the “UsageCounts” menu
- Select “Enable Metrics”
Once you select to enable metrics for your repository, the following actions need to be performed:
- Download the tracking code for Eprints or DSpace platforms or use the Generic Tracker for all platforms.
- Follow the instructions to configure the tracking code.
- Deploy the tracking code into your platform.
Once you perform these actions, the OpenAIRE technical team will validate the installation of the tracking code and inform you accordingly. You can find additional guidance in the service guide at www.openaire.eu/guides-usage-counts.
For more details about the workflows and tools please check the “Guidelines for Collecting Usage Events and Provision of Usage Statistics”.