RCUK drafts new Open Access policy
RCUK (UK's Research Councils) have proposed a new revised Open Access policy.
From the new policy:
"The draft policy defines what the Research Councils mean by Open Access and how it
may be achieved. It states the specific revised policy measures the Research Councils
intend to adopt, and explains how these differ from current policies. The Research
Councils expect to continue to support a mixed approach to Open Access (for
example, both deposit of articles in open access repositories and pay-to-publish). Key
differences with the current policy include:
- Specifically stating that Open Access includes unrestricted use of manual and automated text and data mining tools; and unrestricted reuse of content with proper attribution.
- Requiring publication in journals that meet Research Council ‘standards’ for Open Access.
- No support for publisher embargoes of longer than six months from the date of publication (12 months for research funded by the Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) and the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC))."
Read the whole policy text here: http://www.openscholarship.org/upload/docs/application/pdf/2012-03/rcuk_proposed_policy_on_access_to_research_outputs.pdf
Please send any comments to RCUK and use "Open Access Feedback" in the subject line.
Do also consider participating in the community response to the RCUK policy: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RJFSTcWfHFz3NNsPzK1JgHD8BVQKoBqOW3Tx98_Y1zQ/edit
Also check out
- EnablingOpenScholarships article about the new policy: http://www.openscholarship.org/jcms/c_7297/new-stronger-uk-research-councils-policy-on-open-access
- RCUK site on Open Access: http://www.rcuk.ac.uk/research/Pages/outputs.aspx
- Last updated on .