and thermal switches for targeted drug release. Heat generation occurs by exploitation of the surface plasmon
resonance of the gold coating, which usually occurs at the maximum UV absorption wavelength. However, lasers
at such wavelength are often expensive and highly specialised. Here, we report the heating and monitoring of heat
dissipation of HNPs suspended in agar phantoms using a relatively inexpensive Ng: YAG pulsed 1064 nm laser source.
The particles experience heating of up to 40°C with a total area of heat dissipation up to 132.73 mm2 from the 1 mm
diameter irradiation point after 60 seconds. This work reports the potential and possible drawbacks of these particles
for translation into cancer therapy based on our findings.
The results below are discovered through our pilot algorithms. Let us know how we are doing!
- 1. Kanazaki K, Sano K, Makino A, Shimizu Y, Yamauchi F, et al. (2015) Development of Anti-HER2 fragment antibody conjugated to iron oxide nanoparticles for in vivo HER2-targeted photoacoustic tumor imaging. Nanomed 11: 2051-2060.
- 2. Banu H, Sethi DK, Edgar A, Shweiff A, Raynees N, et al. (2015) Doxorubicin loaded polymeric gold nanoparticles targeted to human folate receptor upon laser photothermal therapy potentiates chemotherapy in breast cancer cell lines. J Photochem Photobiol B: Biol 149:116-128.
- 3. Liu J, Hu R, Liu J, Zhang B, Wang Y, et al. (2015) Cytotoxicity assessment of functionalized CdSe, CdTe and InP quantum dots in two human cancer cell models. Mater Sci Eng C Mater Biol Appl 57: 222-231.
- 4. Chou HT, Wang TP, Lee CY, Tai NH, Chang HY (2013) Photothermal effects of multi-walled carbon nanotubes on the viability of BT-474 cancer cells. Mater Sci Eng C Mater Biol Appl 33: 989-995.
- 5. Castiglioni S, Cazzaniga A, Perrotta C, Maier JA (2015) Silver nanoparticlesinduced cytotoxicity requires ERK activation in human bladder carcinoma cells. Toxicol Lett 237: 237-243.
- 6. Malekigorji M, Hoskins C, Curtis T, Varbiro G (2014) Enhancement of the cyctotoxic effect of anticancer agent by cytochrome c functionalized hybrid nanoparticles in hepatocellular cancer cells. J Nanomed Res 1: 0010.
- 7. Khan MS, Vishakante GD, Siddaramaiah H (2013) Gold nanoparticles: a paradigm shift in biomedical applications. Adv Colloid Interface Sci 199-200: 44-58.
- 8. Jain PK, El-Sayed IH, El-Sayed MA (2007) Au nanoparticles target cancer, Nano Today 2: 18-29.
- 9. Jing L, Liang X, Deng Z, Feng S, Li X, et al. (2014) Prussian blue coated gold nanoparticles for simultaneous photoacoustic/CT bimodal imaging and photothermal ablation of cancer. Biomaterials 35: 5814-5821.
- 10. Lee HJ, Liu Y, Zhao J, Zhou M, Bouchard RR, et al. (2013) In vitro and in vivo mapping of drug release after laser ablation thermal therapy with doxorubicinloaded hollow gold nanoshells using fluorescence and photoacoustic imaging. J Control Release 172: 152-158.
- 11. Liang XJ, Chen C, Zhao Y, Wang PC (2010) Circumventing tumor resistance to chemotherapy by nanotechnology. Methods Mol Biol 596: 467-488.
- 12. Chu KF, Dupuy DE (2014) Thermal ablation of tumours: biological mechanisms and advances in therapy. Nat Rev Cancer 14: 199-208.
- 13. Hines-Peralta A, Goldberg SN (2004) Review of radiofrequency ablation for renal cell carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res 10: 6328S-34S.
- 14. Woods E (2010) Laser ablation of the prostate: a safe effective treatment of obstructive benign prostatic disease. Can Urol Assoc J 4: 344-346.
- 15. Cai W, Gao T, Hong H, Sun J (2008) Applications of gold nanoparticles in cancer nanotechnology. Nano Sci App 1:10,2147.
- 16. Clare H, Lin PK, Tetley L, Cheng WP (2012) The use of nano polymeric selfassemblies based on novel amphiphilic polymers for oral hydrophobic drug delivery. Pharm Res 29: 782-794.
- 17. Moses MA, Brem H, Langer R (2003) Advancing the field of drug delivery: taking aim at cancer. Cancer Cell 4: 337-341.
- 18. Liu C, Li BQ, Mi CC (2009) Fast transient thermal analysis of gold nanoparticles in tissue-like medium. IEEE Trans Nanobioscience 8: 271-280.
- 19. Cheong SK, Krishnan S, Cho SH (2009) Modeling of plasmonic heating from individual gold nanoshells for near-infrared laser-induced thermal therapy. Med Phys 36: 4664-4671.
- 20. Jalani G, Naccache R, Rosenzweig DH, Lerouge S, Haglund L, et al. (2015) Real-time, non-invasive monitoring of hydrogel degradation using LiYF4:Yb(3+)/ Tm(3+) NIR-to-NIR upconverting nanoparticles. Nanoscale 7: 11255-11262.
- 21. Pissuwan D, Valenzuela SM, Cortie MB (2006) Therapeutic possibilities of plasmonically heated gold nanoparticles. Trends Biotechnol 24: 62-67.
- 22. Huang X, El-Sayed MA (2010) Gold nanoparticles: Optical properties and implementations in cancer diagnosis and photothermal therapy. J Adv Res 1:13-28.
- 23. Tanaka Y, Matsuo K, Yuzuriha S (2011) Objective assessment of skin rejuvenation using near-infrared 1064-nm neodymium: YAG laser in Asians. Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol 4: 123-130.
- 24. Lukianova-Hleb EY, Volkov AN, Wu X, Lapotko DO (2013) Transient enhancement and spectral narrowing of the photothermal effect of plasmonic nanoparticles under pulsed excitation. Adv Mater 25: 772-776.
- 25. Andres Verges M, Costo R, Roca AG, Marco JP, et al. (29008) Uniform and water stable magnetite nanoparticles with diameters around the mon- odomainmultidomain limit. J Phys D: Appl Phys 41: 134003.
- 26. Barnett C, Gueorguieva M, Lees M, McGarvey D, Hoskins C (2012) Effect of hybrid composition on physicochemical properties and morphology of iron oxide-gold nanoparticles. J Nano Res 14:1170.
- 27. Li C, Huang Z, Wang RK (2011) Elastic properties of soft tissue-mimicking phantoms assessed by combined use of laser ultrasonic and low coherence interferometry. Optics Express 9:10153-10163.
- 28. Lazebnik M, Madsen EL, Frank GR, Hagness SC (2005) Tissue-mimicking phantom materials for narrowband and ultrawideband microwave applications. Phys Med Biol 50: 4245-4258.
- Citation: Curtis A, Malekigorji M, Holman J, Skidmore M, Hoskins C (2015) Heat Dissipation of Hybrid Iron Oxide-Gold Nanoparticles in an Agar Phantom. J Nanomed Nanotechnol 6: 335. doi:10.4172/2157-7439.1000335
No related research data.
No similar publications.