Types: Doctoral thesis
This thesis is a study of the development of Open Public Spaces of Athens, during the period 1940 - 2000.\ud At the end of the 20th Century, Athens and its Open Public Spaces present many problems concerning the city's environment, which have been accumulated over the past 60 years and have been aggravated due to unplanned expansions of the city and some unsuccessful interventions, by the State.\ud However, there are still many possibilities towards the amelioration of the city's and Public Spaces' conditions, especially through the large Public works which are necessary for the future.\ud In the Introduction, following the definition of some terms, some general issues related to Open Public Spaces are mentioned, such as functions, cultural activities, Character of the Open Public Space, as well as specific problems of the Athenian Open Public Spaces as insufficiency, street Furniture equipment, the Rôle of\ud the State etc. Moreover, there is a search for the Theoretical Approach and Methodology of the project, by the brief review of theories concerning Society and Public Space, and the development of Historiography.\ud The methodology proposed for this project is derived from the conclusions of the above search.\ud In Chapter 2, there is a brief review of the development of Athens' Open Public Spaces and urbanization, as most of today's Open Public Spaces originate from their first formation during the 19th and the first half of the 20th Century.\ud In Chapter 3, Athenian Open Public Spaces are examined in relation to the political situation, spirit of the times, social structure and City's development of each one of the eight critical sub-periods to which the whole period under examination in this project, i.e. 1940-2000 is subdivided, according to specific political, economic and cultural factors and characteristics of each one.\ud Special attention has been paid to the presentation of large Public works and Open Public Spaces which will be executed in the near future and will contribute to the city's life.\ud In Chapter 4, three case studies are presented, concerning three significant Athenian Open Public Spaces Syntagma Square, Omonia Square and Pireos Street. In these case studies each Public Space is examined more in depth and detail, in relation to its: Structural and Functional dimension (e.g. Its location in the urban structure, relationships with the Urban environment, functions, circulation etc).\ud Semantic dimension (e.g. Significance and meaning to the city, historic development etc).\ud Structure of the Space (e.g. Topography, shape, elements, Street furniture equipment etc).\ud In Chapter 5, an Assessment of the Athenian Open Public Spaces is attempted in relation to various issues, such as, the significance and the role of the Open Public Spaces in the city, the use and life of the Athenian Open Public Spaces, their allocation social role, forms materials used, street furniture equipment.\ud Other issues examined are, the monuments, green areas, the role of the State through the legislative Context, the character of Athenian Open Public Spaces as it has developed.\ud Chapter 5, concludes with a brief comparison between European and Athenian Open Public Spaces, the final Conclusions and Recommendations.\ud Finally in the Appendices, the European Union's directives concerning Architect's expected role in shaping the city's environment and Landscape. Institute's educational policy is mentioned, as well as examples of Open Public Spaces formations by the Municipality of Athens and by the Ministry of Environment, Regional Planning and Public Works are presented.
The results below are discovered through our pilot algorithms. Let us know how we are doing!
- 3.3. Athens during the décade 1950 - 1960 The Period of Economie Development 3.4. Athens during the period prior to the Military Coup (1960-1967) 3.5. Athens during the period of the Dictatorship (1967 - 1974) 3.6. Athens during the post Dictatorship period (1974-1980) The establishment of Democracy.
- 3.7. Athens during the Décade 1980-1990 The Period of Internai Political Development.
- 3.8. Athens during the Décade 1990-2000 The Period of the heading towards the Economie and Currency Union 3.8.1. Conclusions The search and récognition of Open Public Spaces of Athens.
- - Canter D. (1988) : Environmental Psychology, Salonka University Studio Press.
- - Canter D. (1996) : Psychology and Architecture, Salonica University Studio Press.
- - Cassirer E. (1968) : An Essay on Man, Athens, Kalvos.
- - Castels M. (1977) : The Urban Question, London Arnold.
- - Collective (1981) : Urban Open Spaces N. York Rizzoli, Smisthonian Institute.
- - Cerver F. A. (1997) : Redesigning City Squares and Plazas N. York; Hearst books
- - Filias V. (1975) : Society and Authority in Greece Athens, Comemporary texts 1975.
- - Katsoulis EL, Giannitsis T., Kazakos P. (E.d.) (1998) : Greece towards 2000 Athens
- - Katsounaki M. (1999) : Hopeful appearances in Greece in the 20* Century. Kathimerini
- - Katsounaki M (1999) : Audience, the great absent in Greece in the 20th Century. Kathimerini - Katsounaki M. (1999) : In a transitional stage in Greece in the 20th Century. Kathimerini - Katsounaki M (1999) : Wind of overturning in Greece in the 20* Century. Kathimerini - Katsounaki M. (2000) : Unthinkable resurgence in Greece in the 20* Century. Kathimerini
- - Kerofylas J. (1989) : Athens of the *40s and Occupation Athens, Philippotis.
- - Kerofylas J. (1988) : Athens after the War Athens, Philippotis.
- - Kerofylas J. (1993) : Athens in the decade of 1950's Athens, Philippotis.
- - Kerofylas J. (1997) : Athens in the decade of 1960's Athens, Philippotis.
- - Smithson A. (Ed) (1968) : Team Ten Primer. London, Studio Vista.
- - Seferis G. (1977) : Days D* (1941- 44) Athens.
- - Schaal H. D. (1994) : Landscape as Inspiration. Berlin, Acaderay Edition Emst & Sohn.
No related research data.
No similar publications.