Publisher: Dove Medical Press
Journal: Risk Management and Healthcare Policy
Subjects: health policy, RA1-1270, Public aspects of medicine, Risk Management and Healthcare Policy, Review, waterpipe tobacco, tobacco regulation, hookah smoking
Mary P Martinasek,1 Linda M Gibson-Young,2 Janiece N Davis,3 Robert J McDermott41Public Health Department of Health Sciences and Human Performance, University of Tampa, Kennedy Boulevard, Tampa, FL, 2College of Nursing and Health Sciences, Texas A&M University: Corpus Christi, Corpus Christi, TX, 3Department of Health – Palm Beach County, West Palm beach, FL, 4Department of Population Health Sciences, School of Medicine and Public Health, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI, USABackground: Given the increasing evidence of its negative health effects, including contributions to both infectious and chronic diseases, waterpipe tobacco smoking raises public health concerns beyond even those presented by traditional smoking. Methods: Identification of Clean Indoor Air Acts (CIAAs) from each of the 50 United States and District of Columbia were retrieved and examined for inclusion of regulatory measures where waterpipe tobacco smoking is concerned. Several instances of exemption to current CIAAs policies were identified. The cumulative policy lens is presented in this study. Results: States vary in their inclusion of explicit wording regarding CIAAs to the point where waterpipe tobacco smoking, unlike traditional smoking products, is excluded from some legislation, thereby limiting authorities’ ability to carry out enforcement. Conclusion: Consistent, comprehensive, and unambiguous legislative language is necessary to prevent establishments where waterpipe tobacco smoking occurs from skirting legislation and other forms of regulatory control. Stricter laws are needed due to the increasing negative health impact on both the smoker and the bystander. Actions at both the federal and state levels may be needed to control health risks, particularly among youth and young adult populations.Keywords: health policy, waterpipe tobacco, hookah smoking, tobacco regulation
The results below are discovered through our pilot algorithms. Let us know how we are doing!
- 1. Mokdad AH, Marks JS, Stroup DF, Gerberding JL. Actual causes of death in the United States, 2000. JAMA. 2004;291(10):1238-1245.
- 2. Aljarrah K, Ababneh Z, Al-Delaimy W. Perceptions of hookah smoking harmfulness: predictors and characteristics among current hookah users. Tob Induc Dis. 2009;5(16):1-7.
- 3. Ray C. The hookah - the Indian waterpipe. Curr Sci. 2009;96(10): 1319-1323.
- 4. Masadeh MM, Hussein EI, Alzoubi KH, Khabour O, Skakhatreh MA, Gharaibeh M. Identification, characterization and antibiotic resistance of bacterial isolates obtained from waterpipe device hoses. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2015;12(5):5108-5115.
- 5. Rastam S, Ward KD, Eissenberg T, Maziak W. Estimating the beginning of the waterpipe epidemic in Syria. BMC Public Health. 2004;4:32.
- 6. Cavazos-Regq PA, Krauss MJ, KimY, Emery SL. Risk factors associated with hookah use. Nicotine Tob Res. Epub 2015 Feb 2.
- 7. Maziak W, Ward KD, Eissenberg T. Interventions for waterpipe smoking cessation. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2007;4:CD005549.
- 8. Barnett TE, Forrest JR, Porter L, Curbow BA. A multiyear assessment of hookah use prevalence among Florida high school students. Nicotine Tob Res. 2014;16(3):373-377.
- 9. Eissenberg T, Ward KD, Smith-Simone S, Maziak W. Waterpipe tobacco smoking on a US College campus: prevalence and correlates. J Adolesc Health. 2008;42(5):526-529.
- 10. Smith SY, Curbow B, Stillman FA. Harm perception of nicotine products in college freshmen. Nicotine Tob Res. 2007;9(9):977-982.
- 11. Primack BA, Sidani J,AgarwalAA, Shadel WG, Donny EC, EissenbergTE. Prevalence of and associations with waterpipe tobacco smoking among US university students. Ann Behav Med. 2008;36(1):81-86.
- 12. Smith-Simone S, Curbow B, Stillman F. Differing psychosocial risk profiles of college freshmen waterpipe, cigar, and cigarette smokers. Addict Behav. 2008;33(12):1619-1624.
- 13. Safizadeh H, Moradi M, Rad MR, Nakhaee N. Bacterial contamina - tion of different components of the waterpipe. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2014;18:988-991.
- 14. Purushothama V, Liu D, Liu C. Infections of the respiratory system. In: Baron S, editor. Medical Microbiology. 4th ed. Galveston, TX: University of Texas Medical Branch; 1996. Chapter 93. Available from: http:// www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK8142. Accessed August 12, 2015.
- 15. Munckhof WJ, Konstantinos A, Wamsley M, Mortlock M, Gilpin C. A cluster of tuberculosis associated with use of marijuana water pipe. J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2003;7:860-865.
- 16. Szyper-Kravitz M, Lang R, Manor Y, Lahav M. Early invasive pulmonary aspergillosis in a leukemia patient linked to aspergillus contaminated marijuana smoking. Leuk Lymphoma. 2001;42:1433-1437.
- 17. Knishkowy B, Amitai Y. Water-pipe (narghile) smoking: an emerging health risk behavior. Pediatrics. 2005;116(1):e113-e119.
- 18. Shihadeh A. Investigation of mainstream smoke aerosol of the argileh water pipe. Food Chem Toxicol. 2003;41(1):143-152.
- 19. Sepetdjian E, Shihadeh A, Saliba NA. Measurement of 16 polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in narghile waterpipe tobacco smoke. Food Chem Toxicol. 2008;46(5):1582-1590.
- 20. Shafagoj Y, Mohammed F. Levels of maximum end-expiratory carbon monoxide and certain cardiovascular parameters following hubblebubble smoking. Saudi Med J. 2002;23(8):953-958.
- 21. Barnett TE, Curbow BA, Soule EK Jr, Tomar SL, Thombs DL. Carbon monoxide levels among patrons of hookah cafes. Am J Prev Med. 2011; 40(3):324-328.
- 22. Martinasek M, Ward K, Calvanese A. Change in carbon monoxide exposure among waterpipe bar patrons. Nicotine Tob Res. 2014;16(7): 1014-1019.
- 23. Shubert J, Hahn J, Dettbarn G, Seidel A, Luch A, Schulz TG. Mainstream smoke of the waterpipe: does this environmental matrix reveal as significant source of toxic compounds? Toxicol Lett. 2011;205(3): 279-284.
- 24. La Fauci G, Weiser G, Steiner IP, Savit I. Carbon monoxide poisoning in narghile (water pipe) tobacco smokers. CJEM. 2012;14(1):57-59.
- 25. Clarke SF, Stephens C, Farhan M, et al. Multiple patients with carbon monoxide toxicity from water-pipe smoking. Prehosp Disaster Med. 2012;27(6):612-614.
- 26. Shihadeh A, Saleh R. Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, “tar,” and nicotine in the mainstream smoke aerosol of the narghile water pipe. Food Chem Toxicol. 2005;43(5):655-661.
- 27. Gupta D, Boffetta P, Gaborieau V, Jindal S. Risk factors of lung cancer in Chandigarh, India. Indian J Med Res. 2001;113:142-150.
- 28. Nafae A, Misra SP, Dhar SN, Shah SN. Bronchogenic carcinoma in Kashmir Valley. Indian J Chest Dis. 1973;15:285-295.
- 29. El-Hakim IE, Uthman MA. Squamous cell carcinoma and keratoacanthoma of the lower lip associated with “Goza” and “Shisha” smoking. Int J Dermatol. 1999;38(2):108-110.
- 30. Jabbour S, El-Roueiheb Z, Sibai A. Nargileh (water-pipe) smoking and incident coronary heart disease: a case-control study. Ann Epidemiol. 2001;8:570.
- 31. Kiter G, Ucan ES, Ceylan E, Kilinc O. Water-pipe smoking and pulmonary functions. Respir Med. 2000;94(9):891-894.
- 32. Villanti A, Cobb C, Cohn A, Williams V, Rath J. Correlates of hookah use and predictors of hookah trial in US young adults. Am J Prev Med. 2015;48(6):742-746.
- 33. Akl E, Jawad M, Lam W, Co C, Obeid R, Irani J. Motives, beliefs and attitudes towards waterpipe tobacco smoking: a systematic review. Harm Redut J. 2013;10:12.
- 34. Myslin M, Zhu SH, Chapman W, Conway M. Using Twitter to examine smoking behavior and perceptions of emerging tobacco products. J Med Internet Res. 2013;15(8):e174.
- 35. Salloum R, Thrasher J, Kates F, Maziak W. Water pipe tobacco smoking in the United States: findings from the National Adult Tobacco Survey. Prev Med. 2015;71:88-93.
- 36. Jain S, Zhu SH, Conway M. Exploring consumer attitudes towards hookah, cigarettes, and cigars using Twitter. Tob Reg Sci. [In Press].
- 37. Creamer MR, Perry CL, Harrell MB, Diamond PM. Trends in multiple tobacco product use among high school students. Tob Reg Sci. [In Press].
- 38. Jamil HE, Elsouhaq D, Hiller S, Arnetz JE, Arnetz BB. Sociodemographic risk indicators of hookah smoking among white Americans: a pilot study. Nicotine Tob Res. 2010;12(5):525-529.
- 39. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The Health Consequences of Involuntary Exposure to Tobacco Smoke; 2006. Available from: surgeongeneral.gov/library/reports/secondhandsmoke/fullreport.pdf. Accessed June 6, 2015.
- 40. US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). FDA News Release. FDA proposes to extend its tobacco authority to additional tobacco products, including e-cigarettes. Washington, DC: FDA; 2014.
- 41. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The Dangers of Hookah Smoking; 2015. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/features/ hookahsmoking/. Accessed May 23, 2015.
- 42. World Health Organization. Waterpipe Tobacco Smoking: Health Effects, Research Needs and Recommended Actions by Regulators. Tob Reg. 2005:1-11. Available from: http://www.who.int/tobacco/global_interaction/tobreg/waterpipe/en/. Accessed June 6, 2015.
- 43. Primack BA, Hopkins M, Hallett C, et al. US health policy related to hookah tobacco smoking. Am J Public Health. 2012;102(9): e47-e51.
- 44. Alabama Clean Indoor Act. Available from: https://www.adph.org/tpts/ assets/S126.pdf. Accessed February 5, 2015.
- 45. Alaska Legislation. Available from: http://www.legis.state.ak.us/ basis/folioproxy.asp?url=http://wwwjnu01.legis.state.ak.us/cgi-bin/ folioisa.dll/stattx12/query=*/doc/%7bt8695%7d. Accessed February 5, 2015.
- 46. Smokefree Arizona Act. Available from: http://www.azleg.gov/ ars/36/00601-01.htm. Accessed February 5, 2015.
- 47. Arkansas Clean Indoor Air Act. Available from: http://www.healthy. arkansas.gov/programsServices/environmentalHealth/arcleanair/ Documents/rules/act8.pdf. Accessed February 1, 2015.
- 48. California Health and Safety Code. Available from: http://www. leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=hsc&group=118001- 119000&file =118875-118915. Accessed February 1, 2015.
- 49. Colorado Health and Environment. Available from: http://www.fda.gov/ downloads/AdvisoryCommittees/CommitteesMeetingMaterials/TobaccoProductsScientificAdvisoryCommittee/UCM287433.pd f. Accessed February 1, 2015.
- 50. Connecticut Laws and Regulations. Available from: http://www.cga. ct.gov/2011/rpt/2011-R-0118.htm. Accessed April 15, 2015.
- 51. Clean Indoor Air Act. Available from: http://delcode.delaware.gov/ title16/c029/. Accessed January 25, 2015.
- 52. Restrictions on Tobacco Smoking. Available from: http://dccode.org/ simple/Title-7/Chapter-17/. Accessed January 25, 2015.
- 53. The 2014 Florida Statutes. Available from: http://www.leg.state..flus/ Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0300-0399/ 0386/0386.html. Accessed January 25, 2015.
- 54. Georgia Smokefree Air Act. Available from: http://www.georgialibraries. org/lib/library_laws/052013/31-12A-1%20-%2031-12A-13%20 Ga.%20Smokefree%20Air%20Act.pdf. Accessed January 25, 2015.
- 55. Hawaii Government. Available from: http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/ hrscurrent/Vol06_Ch0321-0344/HRS0328J/HRS_0328J-0001.htm. Accessed January 25, 2015.
- 56. Idaho Statutes. Available from: http://legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/ Title39/T39CH55.htm. Accessed January 25, 2015.
- 57. Illinois General Assembly. Available from: http://www.ilga.gov/ LEGISLATION/ILCS/ilcs3.asp?ActID=2893&ChapAct=410%26nb sp%3BILCS%26nbsp%3B82%2F&ChapterID=35&ChapterName=P UBLIC+HEALTH&ActName=Smoke+Free+Illinois+Act. Accessed January 25, 2015.
- 58. House Enrolled Act. Available from: http://www.in.gov/legislative/ bills/2012/HE/HE1149.1.html. Accessed January 25, 2015.
- 59. Iowa Code 142D. The Smokefree Air Act. Available from: http://www. iowasmokefreeair.gov/common/pdf/iowacode142D.pdf. Accessed January 25, 2015.
- 60. Kansas Legislature. Available from: http://kslegislature.org/ li_2012/b2011_12/statute/021_000_0000_chapter/021_061_0000_ ar ticle/021_061_0009_section/021_061_0009_k/. Accessed January 25, 2015.
- 61. Kentucky Legislature. Available from: http://www.lrc.ky.gov/ record/11RS/HB193.htm. Accessed January 25, 2015.
- 62. Louisiana Smokefree Policy. Available from: http://new.dhh.louisiana. gov/index.cfm/page/609. Accessed February 1, 2015.
- 63. Maine Revised Statutes. Available from: http://legislature.maine.gov/ statutes/22/title22ch262sec0.html. Accessed February 1, 2015.
- 64. Maryland Regulations Scope. Available from: http://phpa.dhmh. maryland.gov/OEHFP/EH/Shared%20Documents/CIAA_regulations. pdf. Accessed February 1, 2015.
- 65. The Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Available from: https:// malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter270/ Section22. Accessed February 1, 2015.
- 66. Michigan Legislature: Clean Indoor Air Act. Available from: http://www. legislature.mi.gov/(S(4v5lrf45vpjwdq55skuy1r55))/mileg.aspx?page=L oadVirtualDoc&BookmarkID=6497. Accessed February 1, 2015.
- 67. Clean Indoor Air Act. Available from: http://www.health.state.mn.us/ divs/eh/indoorair/mciaa/ftb/mciaa.pdf. Accessed February 1, 2015.
- 68. Senate Ammendments to HB 123. Available from: http://billstatus. ls.state.ms.us/documents/2006/pdf/sam/Amendment_Report_for_ HB0123.pdf. Accessed February 1, 2015.
- 69. Missouri Revised Statutes. Available from: http://health.mo.gov/living/ wellness/tobacco/smokingandtobacco/pdf/Missouri_CIA_Statutes.pdf. Accessed February 1, 2015.
- 70. Montana Clean Indoor Air Act. Available from: http://leg.mt.gov/bills/ mca_toc/50_40_1.htm. Accessed February 1, 2015.
- 71. Nebraska Clean Indoor Air Act. Available from: http://dhhs.ne.gov/ publichealth/Documents/CIAA08.pdf. Accessed February 1, 2015.
- 72. Nevada Clean Indoor Air Act. Available from: https://www.leg.state.nv.us/ NRS/NRS-202.html#NRS202Sec2485. Accessed February 1, 2015.
- 73. New Hampshire Statutes. Available from: http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/ rsa/html/NHTOC/NHTOC-XII-155.htm. Accessed February 1, 2015.
- 74. State of New Jersey Legislature. Available from: http://www.nj.gov/ health/ctcp/smokefree/documents/nj_smokefree_air_act.pdf. Accessed February 1, 2015.
- 75. New Mexico Clean Indoor Air Act. Available from: http://www. smokefreenm.com/images/uploads/HB0283GUS__3_1.pdf. Accessed February 1, 2015.
- 76. Regulation of Smoking in Public and Workplaces. Available from: https://www.health.ny.gov/regulations/public_health_law/section/1399/. Accessed February 1, 2015.
- 77. North Carolina Legislation Article 23. Available from: http://www. ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/ByArticle/ Chapter_130A/Article_23.html. Accessed February 1, 2015.
- 78. North Dakota Public Health Provisions. Available from: http://www. ndhealth.gov/tobacco/ndcc_23-12.pdf. Accessed February 1, 2015.
- 79. Ohio Department of Health. Available from: http://www.odh.ohio.gov/ rules/final/3701-50-59/f3701-52.aspx. Accessed February 1, 2015.
- 80. Oklahoma Statutes on Smoking in Public Places and Indoor Workplaces. Available from: http://www.ok.gov/breatheeasyok/documents/Okla homa%20Laws%20on%20Secondhand%20Smoke%20effective%20 Nov%201%202010.pdf. Accessed February 1, 2015.
- 81. Oregon Laws. Available from: http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/433.845. Accessed February 1, 2015.
- 82. Pennsylvania Senate Bill. Available from: http://www.legis.state.pa.us/ CFDOCS/Legis/PN/Public/btCheck.cfm?txtType=HTM&sessYr=2 007&sessInd=0&billBody=S&billTyp=B&billNbr=0246&pn=2099. Accessed February 1, 2015.
- 83. Health and Safety. Available from: http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/Statutes/ TITLE23/23-20.10/23-20.10-2.HTM. Accessed February 1, 2015.
- 84. South Carolina Code of Laws. Available from: http://www.scstatehouse. gov/code/t44c095.php. Accessed February 1, 2015.
- 85. South Dakota Legislature. Available from: http://legis.sd.gov/Statutes/ Codified_Laws/DisplayStatute.aspx?Type =Statute&Statute=34-46- 1&cookieCheck=true. Accessed February 1, 2015.
- 86. Public Act. Available from: http://tennessee.gov/sos/acts/105/pub/ pc0410.pdf. Accessed February 1, 2015.
- 87. Texas Penal Code. Available from: http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/ Docs/PE/htm/PE.48.htm. Accessed February 1, 2015.
- 88. Utah Indoor Clean Air Act. Available from: http://le.utah.gov/xcode/ Title26/Chapter38/26-38.html?v=C26-38_1800010118000101. Accessed February 1, 2015.
- 89. Vermont's Smokefree Laws. Available from: http://healthvermont.gov/ prevent/tobacco/restrictions_law.aspx. Accessed June 8, 2015.
- 90. Virginia Indoor Clean Air Act. Available from: http://leg1.state.va.us/ cgi-bin/legp504.exe?091+ful+SB1105S2+pdf. Accessed February 1, 2015.
- 91. Washington State Legislature. Available from: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/ rcw/default.aspx?cite=70.160&full=true. Accessed February 1, 2015.
- 92. West Virginia Legislature. Available from: http://www.legis.state.wv.us/ wvcode/Code.cfm?chap=16&art=9A. Accessed February 1, 2015.
- 93. Wisconsin State Legislature. Available from: http://docs.legis.wisconsin. gov/statutes/statutes/101/I/123. Accessed February 1, 2015.
- 94. Wyoming Sale of Tobacco. Available from: http://legisweb.state.wy.us/ statutes/statutes.aspx?file =titles/Title14/T14CH3AR3.htm. Accessed February 1, 2015.
- 95. Shihadeh A, Schubert J, Klaiany J, El Sabban M, Luch A, Saliba N. Toxicant content, physical properties and biological activity of waterpipe. Tob Control. 2015;24(Suppl 1):i22-i30.
- 96. American Lung Association. Hookah Smoking: A Growing Threat to Public Health. n.d.: 1-7. Available from: http://www.lung.org/ stop-smoking/tobacco-control-advocacy/reports-resources/cessationeconomic-benetfis/reports/hookah-policy-brief.pd f. Accessed May 23, 2015.
- 97. Cobb C, Ward KD, Maziak W, Shihadeh AL, Eissenberg T. Waterpipe tobacco smoking: an emerging health crisis in the United States. Am J Health Behav. 2010;34:275-285.
- 98. Public Health Law Center. Hookah; 2010. Available from: http:// publichealthlawcenter.org/topics/tobacco-control/sales-restrictions/ hookah. Accessed August 12, 2015.
- 99. Maher J, Morris D, Girard K, Pizacani B. Consequences of clean indoor air exemptions in Oregon: the hookah story. Tob Control. 2014;23(3): 195-196.
- 100. Morris D, Fiala S, Pawlak R. Opportunities for policy interventions to reduce youth hookah smoking in the United States. Prev Chronic Dis. 2012;9:120082.
No related research data.
Discovered through pilot similarity algorithms. Send us your feedback.
|Title || Year || Similarity |