Publisher: Institutional Repository of Kaunas University of Technology
Types: Master thesis
Subjects: generation ; management ; generational diversity ; organization
Embargo end date: 2017/05/31
Today’s workforce is unique and special. For the first time in the history the workforce consist of four generations. Each generation brings different opinions, values, views, expectations and behaviours to the organizations. Organizations should apply strategy of human resource management, which evaluate interests of each generation, in order to attract talents of different generations, to increase productivity and corporate value, to stimulate competitiveness growth, to avoid conflicts and to ensure work of all generations in harmony.
The object – generational differences and their management in the organization.
The aim – summarize generational management principles in the context of human resource management.
In order to achieve the aim, it is examined such tasks:
1. To clarify generational definitions, distinguishing specificities of generational interests.
2. To form principles of HRM, which regard to interests of each generation.
3. To create model of generational diversity management.
4. To explore principles of generational management in the context of HRM.
Analysis of different generations and their expectations in the functions of HRM and evaluation of AB „Volfas Engelman“ ability to use principles of generational management helped to make these conclusions:
• Different generations use different ways in job searching. So companies need to decide what age employee they are looking for and search for it only in the methods which are appropriate for employee’s generation. AB „Volfas Engelman“ usually search employee on the internet, which lets them to attract people from X and Y generations. However, it would be useful for the company to extend ways of employees’ searching and help to attract people from generation of Baby bummer.
• Different generations highlight different priorities of self-development and like different methods of training. Therefore, companies, which are seeking to maximize effect of trainings, need to make learnings’ plans according to the interests of different generations. AB „Volfas Engelman“ chooses and develops employees’ skills according company’s strategy, so not all expectations of different generations are fulfilled and not all used methods are appropriate to all generations.
• Measurements of motivation affect differently each generation. So companies need to create unique employees’ motivation system, which evaluates composition of workforce by generations. It is appropriate to do periodical surveys and to analyse expectations of employees on measurements of motivation. AB „Volfas Engelman“ is using remuneration policy and strategy which are suitable for each generation.
• Different generations have different requirements for their leaders. Therefore, every leader who is seeking successfully and effectively to control needs of diverse workforce have to know and understand requirements of every generation. In order to form environment where all generations could work in harmony. AB „Volfas Engelman“ constantly arranging annual employer and employee conversations, 360 degree feedback researches, which let for leaders to identify suitable management for expectations of different generations.
In the model of generational management, there are identified principles of HRM functions, which integrate interests of all generations. This model could help to become attractive employer for different generations and to attract talents of each generation, who strengths could contribute to increase competitive advantage. For the further research, it would be appropriate to add to the model the interests of Z generation, so that employers could be ready for coming of new generation to the labour market.
No related research data.
Discovered through pilot similarity algorithms. Send us your feedback.
|Title || Year || Similarity |